Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Old People and Racism


In a recent article posted on RacismReview.com, a writer known only as Resistance shares a recent experience about his encouters with old people and racism.

"A lot of times people make excuses for old people’s racism, as if racism is just a product of a bygone era and it will die out when the old people do. Yeah, right. But anyway, I always think that if my old people have to suffer racism, your old people should get called on it. No more letting old Uncle Harry spew his racist bullshit at the dinner table. (Also old person who thought it was a good idea to let a slur fly at the store: Didja wet your pants when I got in your face? Because you didn’t seem so tough all of a sudden.)

So I got some old folks over at the nursing home.  And one lost her roommate pretty quick.  Because that roommate apparently didn’t want to share a room with one of those.  And made it quite clear.  And was accommodated by the staff.
Not that I think that my old folk should have to put up with that kind of shit.  But I hope the staff members spit in her racist old coffee every morning."

I know I have some older racist family members as well and I can relate to this story. I have heard some racist things slip out of my families mouth sometimes and it is disappointing.  I, too, have always thought racism would eventually die out but after reading this post it may be longer than I thought. As for getting spit in your coffee, words can be hurtful.

make-up

No comments:

Post a Comment