Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Identity Spotlight


Identity Spotlight is a new weekly feature that will be posted Once A Week on Racial Profiling Weekly. 

One's cultural identity is becoming harder and harder to define for everyone inside – and even outside – of America these days: acculturation, assimilation, marginalization, cultural identity crisisare all words that could describe many situations that we can observe in this country regarding cultural identity. 

Each week, we will ask someone to tell us about their cultural identity. African-American, Asian-American, Latino-American... After all, couldn't we simply call ourselves American? Is it important to keep parts of our original culture as well as being an integrant part of our new one? 

These are all questions that we will ask our fellow Americans to see how one's definition and importance of their own cultural identity can differ from others'. 

Feel free to share your thoughts on cultural identity in the comment box below.

____________________________________________

SPOTLIGHT ON...
Zafiro Tellez, 22 Y.O.
CSUSB Student

Q. What is your cultural identity?
A. Chicana, my mom came over when she was pregnant with me so I was 'Made in Mexico, born in the U.S.' I don't really consider myself American, if I had to I would say Mexican-American.

Q. Would you say that you are equally Mexican and American?
A. No, more Mexican than American because I haven't been as privileged as a "White" citizen probably has. I've been racially profiled before, like when I went to get my driver's license a policeman asked me if I was legal.

Q. The term biculturalism means being able to cope comfortably in both home and new culture. Do you consider yourself bicultural?
A. Yes, even though my parents only speak Spanish.

Q. Did you ever experience a cultural identity crisis?
A. Sort of, after eighth grade I had to decide which high school to go to either a more prestigious one for the sake of my education or to one with a minimal graduation rate with my friends. I'm glad I choose the more prestigious one.

Q. What is your point of view on labeling Americans regarding their culture? Do you think we should all be Americans or should we keep using the words Latino, African-American, and so on?
A. No, we should not all call ourselves Americans because my skin tells a different story and my people have been through a lot in our history and I feel we would be losing that. I am very proud of my heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment