Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Interracial dating – Thanks, but no thanks?




I live on campus and these posters have caught my eye lately in the halls of the CSUSB Villages. Everytime I walk into my building I come across them and can’t help but think that this is wrong. Can you see what I see?


Datesafeproject.org

The mission of this program is too increase awareness of sexual assault and encourage sexual education in various institutions, which is fine – it actually is a very good thing to do. What’s not working here is that every single poster shows a couple formed of a male and a female of similar ethnicity : Black couple, Asian couple, Caucasian couple… Three posters side by side on the same wall. (Unfortunately, I couldn’t take a picture of the White couple poster because it has been taken down, but you get the idea)What does this suggest? How is interracial dating perceived in America?

A friend and I – both from Montreal, Canada, a very diverse city – questioned ourselves : Isn’t California one of the most, if not THE most liberal state in the USA? Why wouldn’t these posters show interracial relationships? Would it be shocking? Many questions went through our minds and we had a good conversation about interracial dating and relationships, even interracial friendships – my friend is Black and I am Caucasian – comparing what we have experienced back home in Montreal to what we have seen here in San Bernardino and the rest of California, since the beginning of our exchange program this Fall quarter.


Denzel Washington goes interracial

Within the same week of having this conversation, I saw the trailer for a new movie called Flight, and thought it looked pretty good. As I always do when I am interested in seeing a movie, I turned to IMDB to know a little more about the plot, cast, viewers rating and other details. I was surprised when I noticed that the main character, played by Denzel Washington, has a relationship with a Caucasian woman.

What surprised me is not the relationship itself, obviously, but the fact that there was no hint suggesting an interracial relationship in the trailer. Yet, a romantic kissing scene in a movie trailer usually attracts viewers. Again, the question that went through my mind was: Would showing interracial romance repel viewers?

According to this Washington Post article by columnist Courtland Milloy, members of the audience at the theater said “the relationship was awkward and didn’t work for them”, and one of them added: “Why couldn’t they have found a black actress to co-star with Denzel?” Even Washington himself has reportedly said: 
“White men bring women to movies, and they don’t want to watch a Black man with their woman.”

This made me feel sorry and made me realize that America has not yet reached the point of acceptance and open mindedness I thought it had reached toward interracial dating and relationships. The fact that Flight presents a relationship between a Black man and a Caucasian woman is a step forward, but hiding it from the movie trailer is a step back.


Hope

A study conducted earlier this year by the Pew Research Center claims that interracial marriages in the U.S. have climbed to a record 4.8 million. America might be on the right path… And apparently, California is the No 1 state for interracial dating! Let’s hope the Datesafeproject.org posters were just a misrepresentation of reality…

No comments:

Post a Comment